Houston's 2014 Winter Holiday Art Market

This holiday season has been a whirlwind for me! Shortly after selling my jewelry at Fashion X Dallas I set up shop at Houston's 9th Annual Winter Holiday Art Market, a three-day event held at Winter Street Studios on November 21-23. I participated for the first time last year ,and while it was an exhilarating experience, it was quite overwhelming to do alone. So this year I brought with me Rachael Lahar, one of the many outstanding seniors I work with at the Emery/Weiner School, to help me out and she was nothing less than incredible. She was on-time, eager to help set-up each day, polite and engaging to all the customers, a splendid sales person, and she picked up on lots of jewelry/metal/gemstone lingo in a short period of time. One customer told me that I definitely brought the right sidekick. I couldn't have done it without her! While Rachael aspires to be a veterinarian, she also designs hand-made jewelry herself. This year, in addition to my simple gemstone pieces, I offered personalized jewelry (names, initials, dates, monograms, etc.) which brought me many custom orders. I also had several returning customers. One returning customer was wearing a pair of earrings she bought from me at WHAM last year, which sparked conversation and ultimately lead to a new customer special-ordering the same pair for herself. Unfortunately, it poured down rain (Houston style) all day Saturday, affecting sales for everyone, but WHAM was still a success on many levels. I was approached by the owners of Space Montrose who thought my jewelry might be a good fit for their store. Space (established in 2010) is a Houston-based gift shop that carries only USA made products -- many by local artists, and sells such things as art, cards, soaps, candles, jewelry, and baby products. So far so good... Check it out! Finally, I never come away from such an event without supporting fellow artists and I purchased a FINE brown leather and pyrite cuff from Studio Amoroso (couldn't live without it), as well as an incredibly potent rosemary scented candle by Birch & Goldberry. In addition to my busy jewelry season I managed to come down with the full-fledged flu during the Thanksgiving holidays, which knocked me off my feet for several days. I have also maintained a less invasive (but still annoying) cold throughout the month of December. Needless to say I am looking forward to healthy and productive 2015! Here's to wishing you and yours a very happy new year... CHEERS!




No comments:

Post a Comment