Designers I Love: Featuring Abbie Chesney


ABBIE CHESNEY: EYE ON THE SPARROW DESIGNS

Halfway through recording his first and only solo effort, Jesus Is Alive (And Living In London), the early morning hours of September 3, 2007 left Dallas without one of it’s finest musicians. Carter Albrecht was probably known best for his work with Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians, 5parrow5, and Sorta. Carter believed in local music. This is my way of giving back, connecting music lovers to musicians with the idea of giving money back to the music community. Each string a musician plays tell a story. A story we can capture by wearing a design handmade from a string or set of strings a musicians once played, eye on the sparrow designs has donated over $5,000 to the Carter Albrecht Music Foundation since it began in 2009. I couldn’t do it without your continued help. 
-- abbie, owner/designer 



I met Abbie Chesney at Austin Fashion Week (2012) when she was selling her jewelry at a table next to mine at the Driskill Marketplace. As we were frantically setting up my jewelry before the show, I began to wonder if the designer of the empty table next to me was going to show up at all. Then shortly before the event began she came in and set up this awesome display -- filling a guitar case with small pebbles in which to display her jewelry. All of her pieces are made with different kinds of used guitar strings -- very industrial and incredibly cool. As the evening drew to a close I went back to purchase one of her bracelets for my brother-in-law, Jeff, who has played guitar for years in various local bands (currently in Dallas), but she was sold out. Fortunately, she still had business cards. Jeff is probably the most thoughtful gift giver in our family... but he just might be topped this Christmas! 

On a side note... as I was researching her bio for this post, I learned that Abbie suffered from anorexia in her past and has been helping treat people with eating disorders at The LifeWorks Group in Dallas since 2004. Just another reason to love!

No comments:

Post a Comment